We can go many months without food, only a few weeks without water, but only a few days without sleep before we die.
To improve your sleep, get early morning sun exposure at the same time everyday to regulate sleep/wake cycles. Finish your last meal 3 to 4 hours before bed. Enjoy the warmth of the sunset as the final environmental cue that the day is winding down, and then put on a pair of blue light blocking glasses so the blue light from your phone, or artificial lights, don’t trick your brain into thinking it’s daytime all over again.
Start sleeping like our early ancestors did to build your biological resilience.
HOW IMPORTANT IS SLEEP?
On the hierarchy of health, sleep trumps almost everything else.
It’s the low hanging fruit that can affect metrics more than just about anything else. It’s the time when body and brain detox, recover, rebuild and restore.
HOW CAN I IMPROVE MY SLEEP?
Get morning sun exposure (at the same time every day) to regulate sleep / wake cycles.
Finish your last meal at least 3 to 4 hours before bedtime. You can do this!
Earthing - tips to help with Earthing:
- Use grounding sheets
- Go on barefoot hikes
- Use an EMF meter to make sure there are no electrical fields around the bed
- Turn off the wifi at night
- Put your phone in airplane mode and make sure that there are no electronics (nor lights) anywhere near you.
- Your sleep temperature should be between 64°F and 68°F
- Use blackout curtains and blackout blinds, room needs to be pitch black. No battery lights, no night lights, nothing!
- Use Himalayan salt lamps at sunset instead of regular lighting.
- Wear UVEX safety goggles at least 2 hours before going to bed
- Shut your mouth and breathe through your nose. Read this and this
- Sleep on the floor like our tribe does. why? Our bodies were never meant to be in a cast, courtesy of your bed, all night. Why do you think you wake up feeling like a stiff rock. Check out biochemist, Katy Bowman Move Your DNA for additional information.
Try a sleep concoction 30 minutes before bed to reduce stress and get higher quality sleep:
- 400MG of magnesium Threonate
- 2g Redmond sea salt
- 6g Glycine
WHERE DO I START?
If you’re like most people reading this right now, there’s little that you wouldn’t do to reclaim these virtues. Prioritize your sleep! It’s the single most influential thing you can do right now to support your health journey. Start with early morning sun, connecting to the earth and get a pair of UVEX glasses. Start sleeping like our early ancestors did to build your biological resilience. For more on this, see our blog.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF UVEX GLASSES?
The activity / rest cycle in mammals is one of the circadian rhythms that gets entrained by environmental cues such as natural light and darkness. These cues no longer exist in the modern world because blue light is now ubiquitous. They are emitted from all screens, smart phones, digital clocks and almost all artificial light in the house.
The UVEX glasses block this non-native light spectrum that occurs when the sun goes down.Wear the UVEX glasses at least 2 hours before going to bed. Even when our whole house is lit only by firelight only, I find myself reaching for the glasses because I don’t want even a glimpse of artificial ambient light to disrupt my sleep physiology. Ego holds people back.
We suggest the whole tribe / family wear them two hours before going to bed for the best, restorative sleep ever. UVEX on Amazon
For more information, read this article